joshua tree california is now hitting it big time as the place to escape to that is artistic and affordable. with the virus needing distancing, it is the happening place.
the downtown intersection of interstate hwy 62 with traffic barreling through, including miltary convoys with tanks, to the largest marine base in the usa in 29 palms 15 miles away and crossing park blvd the western gateway to joshua tree national park with 3 million visitors a year and growing is a lively place.
in recent years a number of death have occurred with people crossing the 120â€™ plus hwy. which has art galleries and restaurants on both sides of the hwy. people driving from one side to the other to avoid crossing by foot.
the existing buildings of the fifties are bland and minimum, in stark contrast to the natural beauty of the desert landscape . so why not create a rock? was the suggestion by my guru landscape architectural designer friend david teachout.
bang, that is it.!!! replace joshua tree with rock development. like a rock skin that slowly engulfs the community to reclaim the ecological desert forms.
joshua tree rock junction is on public land that caltrans manages. at the intersection of hwy 62 main interstate east and west ( to the largest marine base in usa) and park blvd to joshua tree national park (3 millions visitors a year.)
designed to caltrans requirements.
the land owners can keep doing their thing as desired or develop additions to the rock theme on their property.
funded by private means. a billionaire that wants to give back etc.
all corners have:
- bridges to adjoin corners saving lives
- pedestrian ramp to 20â€™ hi bridges
- 30â€™ wide bridges on hwy 62, for entertainment, events, safe crossing, leisurely crossing , etc. 120â€™ span
- 20â€™ wide bridges park blvd. 60â€™ span
- enclosed elevator, glass rear wall
- toilet with shower, (off grid solar and water)maintenance and security room
- 160â€™ hwy 62 hwy to private property line
- 20â€™ sidewalk, (expand into 8 block downtown as desired}
- 30â€™ bike lane and parking,
- 5 12′ wide lanes of traffic, turning in middle lane, 30â€™ bike and parking, 20â€™ side walk, = 180‘
- park blvd. 80â€™ to private property line
- 10â€™ sidewalk, 12â€™ bike and emergency parking , 3 lanes of traffic 12â€™ lanes, middle lane turning, 12â€™ bike and emergency parking 10â€™ side walk.
the structure is laid out on orthogonal grid with recycled telephone poles or equal. design development next stage.
compost toilets, cisterns for water collection of yearly flooding. roman concrete, or organic mix etc.a
group community project seeking input of local citizens, politicians, artists, sculptors, designers, architects, planners, etc.
a fun safe place to interact and celebrate joshua tree.
the inspiration to let private ownership of adjoining property to do their own rock theme thing. mixed use of housing, shops, offices, pocket parks, daycare, gardens, clinics etc. parking on grade.
a remodel of the community to be eco self suffient and user pedestrian friendly. development is coming, so why not direct the development?
glen howard small aia architect